Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Peppa Pig Live!




I was looking on Facebook one night when I came across a post from a friend asking anyone if they had extra Peppa Pig tickets to the
Ryman........Peppa Pig? Gwennie loves Peppa Pig. So I went on Ticketmaster to see what was going on and sure enough, the Nashville show was pretty much sold out. That was a complete bummer since that would have been the best date ever with Gwennie. Then I had an idea and checked other venues nearby. Now my idea of nearby is pretty warped since I started attending nursing school in Decatur, Alabama. I saw that Huntsville had a show in only 1 week. I didn't keep my hopes up since we were so close to the concert date but sure enough, there were lots of tickets left! I came up with a plan and the next morning I pitched my idea to Aaron. He wasn't very convinced because he isn't a fan of Peppa Pig, go figure. But I told him that it would just be the three of us and Gwennie would have an awesome time. Aaron finally agreed and I sent a text my awesome Mother in law who happily agreed to assist Roxy with babysitting and with that, I snagged three tickets in the orchestra and started planning for our night in Huntsville.
The drive is an hour and 30 minutes one way so we had to leave as soon as Aaron got home from work. I helped Gwennie dress up in her favorite Peppa shirt (she currently has four peppa shirts thanks to Aunts, Grandmas, and Santa) and after heating up some left over pizza for Daddy, we were on our way to Huntsville.
We arrived in Huntsville at exactly 6:00pm which was not our original plan. Unfortunately, the show had already started and we missed about the first 5 minutes. We managed to find our seats without issue and we settled in to watch Peppa. Aaron and I had a discussion about the differences in the experience when you go to a show made for kids, versus a Broadway musical. People were up and out of their seats constantly, kids were screaming, talking, dancing in the aisles, I even saw a lady three seats down changing a diaper. None of this would have been tolerated if we were watching Wicked but in this environment, it didn't bother us in the slightest. That was actually one of the more enjoyable parts of the night because Gwennie was out of her seat screaming the answers back at the host, Daisy, whenever Daisy told her to just like every other kid in that concert hall.
Peppa didn't disappoint. Gwennie had an absolute blast. During intermission Gwennie received a genuine Peppa pig light up windmill and she spent the rest of the evening waving it in the air along with Daisy and Peppa when they sang. The one funny thing about the show was because Peppa is a British pig, some of the words they used were a little strange. The kids were trying to come up with a way to earn money for a new school roof and Peppa ran up and suggested a "fate." I'm not even sure if I spelled it correctly but the three of us were confused because the cast started singing about a "children's fate" and we had no idea what they were talking about until Daisy said that it was going to be the best "fair" ever. That was the end of the first half and the three of us were sitting in our seats during intermission and had an AAAAAAHAAAAAA moment.....A FAIR. That would explain the little circus tents the stagehands were putting up.
During the final song Daisy asked all of the audience to stand up and dance along. I jokingly told Aaron that they wanted us to all stand up so we can be kicked out faster when its over. Aaron said that they had everyone stand up to catch all the Dads who fell asleep during the show. Sure enough, as soon as the cast finished singing, they all said "thank you, bye!" and ran off the stage. The lights came up and we were ushered out the door. 90 minutes of Peppa was about all we could handle so we were happy to oblige and headed to the car.
The trip was just as entertaining as the show. Gwen relived everything she could remember and told us that her favorite part was when George's dinosaur got stuck in a tree and we all had to jump up and down to help shake the tree so the dinosaur would fall. She also liked the part when Daddy pig came out in his puddle jumping costume and looked really silly. My favorite part was the hula dancing Carrot and Aaron's favorite part was when we all stood up at the end and walked out the doors (he said that was closest thing he could think of to not seeing the show at all, isn't he a comedian?) Gwennie picked up on it and said "no Daddy, that part wasn't funny.
This date night was fun to see Gwennie light up when she saw Peppa. It was completely worth it.

No comments: